Ally Armistead's Reviews > Emma

Emma by Jane Austen

Dec 25, 11

Read in December, 2011

I make a point, every year, to reread at least one of Austen's novels, and "Emma" is always a solid choice. What I adore most about Austen's most precocious of heroines is Emma's refusal to "be tied down," and her absolute blindness to the love of her life standing right in front of her, all along, in her best friend, Mr. Knightly. Perhaps what they say is true, that we are most drawn to novels that mirror our own lives. In the case of "Emma" this is never more true than for yours truly, having dallied about with my head in the clouds, only to realize that my husband-to-be was indeed, all along, my closest friend.

But besides this sentimental, self-involved attraction to Austen's novel, "Emma" is, flat out, a delight. Emma's obsession with match-making and fixing the lives of others borders on hilarity, as well as a deep love for Emma herself, who is so busy tending to the lives of others that she is blind to her own. The banter between Mr. Knightly and Emma is, of course, Austen at her best: ironic, fierce, and yet full of a well-meaning warmth.

True to all Austen novels, "Emma" resolves itself in a proposal as the two bantering love interests merge their lives together.

Another masterful read by Jane Austen, "Emma" is a must-read for all Austen lovers and literary types alike.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emma.