Marijane's Reviews > Under the Same Sky

Under the Same Sky by Genevieve Graham

Jan 20, 12

Read in January, 2012

The description of the book has been set forth in a number of reviews, so I will not repeat it here. I have never written a review of a book before but this book moved me to do so. Under the Same Sky is beautifully written. It is very easy for the reader to understand Maggie Johnson and Andrew MacDonnell and to visualize the environments in which they find themselves. The story is written in such a manner that Ms. Graham makes the reader believe that what happens between Maggie and Andrew is plausible.

The cover is deceptive in that it suggests that this book is a "bodice ripper." Also, it makes you wonder if whoever designed the cover, read the book. Where did Andrew and Maggie get the money for the gown? Moreover, Maggie has never been to Scotland. Andrew leaves Scotland to come to America to find Maggie. He is able to do so because that they have been communicating with their minds since they were children and that connection is a source of great solace for both of them throughout their lives. Further, there are very dark and disturbing moments depicted in this book that grip the reader and make the cover seem absurd. The cover, of course, is not the fault of Ms. Graham but I think it may deter some from reading Ms. Grahams compelling story.

Under the Same Sky is a “romance” in the sense that Maggie and Andrew clearly love each other as evidenced by the lengths that they go to in order to be together. However, to me, the book is more historical fiction with paranormal aspects than traditional historical romance.

Ms. Graham also creates other characters that the reader comes to care about, most notably, Janet who leaves her family in Scotland to embark on an unknown future in America.

It is difficult to believe that this is Ms. Graham’s debut novel. She clearly has a bright future ahead of her. I hardly can wait to read Sound of the Heart Ms. Graham’s next book about Alex’s brother Dougal.

Marijane Diodati

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Same Sky.

Marijane Comments to follow.