Cheyenne Teska's Reviews > Illuminate

Illuminate by Aimee Agresti

Dec 23, 2011

bookshelves: ebooks, for-review, netgalley, reviewed
Read from March 05 to 07, 2012

In all honesty, this book took me a while to get into, considering that most of the story was focused establishing characters and the surrounding. We don't see much action until the near end, but that's not to say that Illuminate isn't interesting. I was fascinated by the hotel alone, as it reminded me of one of my favorite hotels. I enjoyed the characters, especially Haven and Lance, and there was definitely something that made my skin crawl about Aurelia and the Outfit from day one.

When it comes to books, my preferred length is about 400 pages or less, so I was a little hesitant to begin this. As it turns out, my instincts were correct and I found my eyes glazing over at points of the story. Don't get me wrong, learning about these characters lives were entertaining but the book is unnecessarily drawn out and I don't think there's any reason it should have been as long as it is. That being said, the good actually outweighs the bad.

Aimee takes her time to describe the surroundings and that made the story thoroughly enjoyable. I loved the references to the 1920's, especially the tunnels that Haven discovers in her closet one night with the help of a mysterious advice-giving book. Each of the students invited for this internship turns out to be more than the most intelligent, hardworking students at school. I didn't quite understand that this book was about angels until about half way through, and although I'm not familiar with stories of this subject, I loved it.

The author creates an interesting and intimidating world about the battle between good and evil. Some may consider this a paranormal romance, but to me, there was a lot more than the romance that sprouts at the very end. This book is about friendship, trust, and being true to yourself more than anything. Though lengthy and slower-paced, this story was more than it seems and you may just have to dive in and see for yourself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Illuminate.

03/06/2012