Shannon (aka The Tale Temptress)'s Reviews > Gravity

Gravity by Melissa  West

Mar 24, 13

bookshelves: debut-author-challenge

I wasn't sure what to expect from this book, as it was unlike anything I've ever read. It had a very sci-fi quality to it, which I'm typically not a fan of, but I was pleasantly surprised. The book doesn't take place in space, but on earth, yet there is definitely an otherworldly quality to the story and things taking place in it.

I found this to be an extremely unique story, and it actually drew me in rather quickly for me not to have been a fan of sci-fi-ish type things. It had a dystopian feel to it though, since it does take place in the future, and since I love dystopians, it brought me in rather quickly. The author's writing was engaging, as well, and she had a way of drawing you in with suspense, and with that technique some good authors use, which is to dish out only so much information as you need to have, and then leave little bread crumbs thereafter for you to discover. That worked for this book very well.

I don't really want to say why Jackson is hovering over Ari because it will kind of give away an element of the story that is more fun for one to discover on one's own. Suffice it to say, it was a bit surprising, and I enjoyed the connection these two forge from there. These two people are definitely an unlikely pair, but I loved them. Ari was my favorite character because she's smart and strong, and cares for others, especially toward the end of the story where she begins to have some strong disagreements with the way things are going on around her.

The book definitely had a Romeo and Juliet aspect to it, and it also had a great underlying message of acceptance rather than prejudice, greed taking over a person's better judgment, that will more than likely be a common theme throughout the series.

I'm definitely looking forward to the second book. I enjoyed the author's writing very much. I'm already a fan of Melissa West, but it was nice seeing such a unique story here. I highly recommend it for anyone who enjoyed Jennifer Armentrout's Lux series. Very unique!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gravity.