Terry94705's Reviews > Post Office

Post Office by Charles Bukowski

U_50x66
Dec 22, 11

Read in December, 2011

A novel drawn from Bukowski's time first as a mail carrier and then as a mail sorter in the LA (?) post office. A sickening workplace with dulling work and sadistic bosses, you --like the protagonist-- will wonder how he stayed there for 11-12 years. Henry Chinaski is drunk, sleeping or screwing in the 12 hours that he is not sorting mail. A career at the race track seems to be his only serious alternative.

Although this story takes place in the '60s, it rings familiar from stories I've heard from people who worked in huge mail centers in the '70s, where many were either getting drunk on the job, or working through hangovers. The real levity in this book comes with his inclusion wholesale of reprimand notices and the code of ethics for postal workers.

The protagonist is a real sad sack and sexist. In typical beat fashion he finds women an annoying lure. You do wonder how any women are drawn to this character.

I give this 2.5. It is a quick read, so I am not sorry I read it, but it won't make you want to read more Bukowski.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Post Office.