Kelley Ross's Reviews > The Pillars of Creation

The Pillars of Creation by Terry Goodkind

Dec 29, 11

bookshelves: high-fantasy, medieval-fiction
Read from December 22 to 29, 2011

I used to love this series... I'm hoping this book was just a bad apple and that the rest will be better. Maybe my tastes have just changed?

Oba singlehandedly ruined this book for me. Well, that's a lie. The fact that a best-selling, expensive, and marketed book had the nerve to comma splice sentences several hundred times also added to my frustration. But it was mostly Oba and his "well, wasn't that something." Oba was unnecessarily crude and violent throughout the entire book, and I wish someone would tell Goodkind that a good villain doesn't /have/ to have those qualities. I didn't need to hate Oba because he likes to rape and abuse women- I hated him already. It just wasn't called for. I'm not even going to go into describing how grossed out I was during the swamp snake scene. I think that villains can be inherently evil and therefore scary, but still retain some class. (Think anywhere from the classic Dracula to the modern Voldemort.) Oba was unimaginative and intentionally gruesome for no apparent reason.

The plot was lacking compared to previous books. Example: what the hell was up with a certain man's (and animal's, for that matter...) unexpected appearance during the final scene?! I probably could have ignored this if Oba hadn't been so disgusting (ie- unneeded Mord Sith scene).

I suspect that Goodkind is so attached to his main story characters that he was struggled to breathe life into Oba and Jennsen. At least that's what I'm hoping, because I want to read the rest of the series and not have a bad taste in my mouth at the end.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pillars of Creation.

12/23/2011 page 160
22.0% "I just know that damned goat is going to end up dead..."