Katie's Reviews > Fever

Fever by Lauren DeStefano

Feb 20, 2012

bookshelves: arcs, for-review
Read in November, 2011

Second books in a series, for me, are usually the worst. More times than often, they come across as nothing more than a bridge between the first and third book, lacking the excitement and story built up in the original. It's because of this that I almost didn't pick up Fever. I enjoyed Wither very much, but enough to read its sequel?

I am so glad that I did. So, so glad.

From the very first chapter, Fever sprouted a new love - one of those WISH I HAD LIGHTNING SPEED READING SKILLS SO I CAN HAVE IT ALL RIGHT NOW kind of loves - that Wither failed to instill in me. Every paragraph, every twist and turn and epic action/romance scene, the love grew bigger and bigger. One of my biggest complaints about Wither was that, for me, it didn't feel like the action and the story began until the very end. In Fever, there is never a dull moment. We start where Rhine and Gabriel left off in the first book, and we're with them throughout the entire escape from the mansion and through their search for Rhine's brother. And I really love that since pretty much the entire length of Wither took place in a mansion, Rhine and Gabriel are able to explore new settings and sceneries. We always hear about this crumbling world they live in, but now we get the chance to actually see it (err ... read it, you know what I mean) and wow. DeStefano's descriptions of the now sad, desolate country are simply heartbreaking.

Something else I loved - more Gabriel, less Linden. Gabriel's personality shined throughout these pages, something we didn't see a lot of when he was just a reserved servant in Linden's mansion. Take him away from that mansion, from everything he's ever known, and his character really evolves and the author did a brilliant job at showcasing his difficulty at coping in the real world for the first time.

Overall, Fever outshines Wither, hands down. The Chemical Garden went from a series I liked to a series that I'm now twitchy with excitement for more of. With its new eerie settings and demented, evil characters, this book takes a huge leap from Wither as a fast-paced, heart-pounding adventure that gives the series a new kind of edge. If you were on the fence about Wither, I definitely encourage you to give this one a shot - it might just give you a new love for these books and characters as well!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fever.

Jennifer Interesting. I enjoyed Wither more than Fever. I wished there was more Linden and missed him a lot. And I missed the mansion!