Alisha's Reviews > How to Save a Life

How to Save a Life by Sara Zarr

Jan 04, 12

bookshelves: amazon-vine, arc-s, young-adult
Read in November, 2011

When I picked up How to Save a Life, I definitely didn't expect to love it as much as I did. The premise, while intriguing, seemed like it had the potential to turn overly cheesy or overly angsty. Now, did How to Save a Life have a couple of cheesy moments? Yes. Did it have a lot of angsty moments? Again, a resounding yes. But it was also a sweet, tender, complicated story. One that was absolutely fantastic.

What makes How to Save a Life so amazingly fantastic is the wonderful characterization. Both Mandy and Jill were wonderfully flawed characters. They weren't just black and white and there were moments where I liked both of the characters and then intensely disliked them. For example, I started How to Save a Life identifying a bit more with Jill as opposed to Mandy and liked her more. However, midway through, I grew to dislike Jill yet adore Mandy. Then in the end, I realized that I had appreciated both of them for different reasons.

Now, I'm one of those people who HATES it when an author writes a super angsty story...and then gives it a happy ending. It just doesn't seem to mesh well with the rest of the book, most of the time. But in How to Save a Life, I WANTED the happy ending. I YEARNED for it. I wanted each and every character to get what they wanted even though it seems that them getting what they want wouldn't work since they all seem to want a part of the same thing just in a different way. Regardless of that, How to Save a Life, did have a predictable ending, but I didn't mind it at all.

So, I completely recommend How to Save a Life. It's a pretty much, all around amazing book with great characters and great writing. Pick it up immediately!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Save a Life.