Faye's Reviews > The Lady's Maid

The Lady's Maid by Susan Page Davis

Jan 02, 12

Read from December 22, 2011 to January 02, 2012

Elise Finster is The Lady's Maid to Anne, a well-bred young lady who is in search of her long-lost-uncle, the new heir to a family fortune. Elise stays faithfully by her lady's side, as they go across the sea to America, and on a wagon train to Oregon. A sinister cousin tries to thwart their plans. Meanwhile sparks might just be flying between Elise and the gruff scout Eb Bentley.

While Lady's Maid was a well-written book, with some chuckle worthy incidents, I found myself constantly having to drag my focus back onto the pages of the book. I just didn't feel drawn into the story or the place. The characters were good, but I wish I had felt more for them. But that's my personal opinion.

Overall, I did enjoy this book, though I wished that things would have moved faster than they did, and that I had felt more for the characters. Also I wished that Elise and Eb had spent more time together, and that they'd had more meaningful interactions. But I did like reading about how Elise and Anne became more independant as they learned how to cook over open fires and many other household chores while on the Oregon Trail. I only wish that my attention had been more captivated.

Final Rating: 3.8 out of 5

I received a copy of this book from teh publisher, through NetGalley in return for an honest review. The copy I received may not be the final edition, so keep in mind that my review is based soley on what I read. Thanks :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lady's Maid.