Barbara's Reviews > Love Enough for Two

Love Enough for Two by Cynthia Rutledge

F 50x66
Dec 22, 2011

it was ok

Rutledge's book introduces us to Sierra Summers, a Christian woman who is living as her wealthy best friend for the summer (a neat take on the "Prince and the Pauper" story) and handsome Matt Dixon, an attorney who believes that Sierra is Elizabeth Carlyle, the daughter of a wealthy client who is donating money to build a shelter for abused children. Matt has family issues stemming from his mother's departure from his life and Sierra has issues stemming from her divorce to Jerry, who physically abused their child, Maddie.

I would describe it as a nominal Christian romance because neither Matt nor Sierra truly behaved in a Christlike manner. Matt tells Sierra that he attends Brentwood Christian, but he also indicates (as they puruse a half-baked romance) that he's willing and ready to sleep with her. Sierra, meanwhile, is literally living a lie as is her best friend Elizabeth (Libby). Matt is hurt when he realizes that Sierra isn't Libby, but he also doesn't feel able to fall in love with a woman who has a child.

Eventually, the two overcome their differences as is the rule in romance novels. I felt that both characters were bland and somewhat unlikable. Maddie, Sierra's daughter, occasionally comes across as spoiled and annoying. As a parent, I firmly believe that children can be seen and not heard on occasion. Because of the wealth of the characters in the novel as well as its California setting, it read as Christianity 90210 in places. Not a bad novel for an hour or so, but it's not one of those novels that you can't put down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Enough for Two.