Shelleyrae at Book'd Out's Reviews > Fated

Dec 22, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: arc-are
Read from January 03 to 05, 2012 — I own a copy

I was lucky to win Fated through the You Give=We Give campaign, as well as Alderson's debut novel Hunting Lila published in 2011 which has gained a lot of praise.

Fated is a blend of urban fantasy and paranormal romance aimed at a young adult audience. Seventeen year old Evie Tremain dreams of moving to New York and escaping the reminders of her tragic losses. Her plan is ruined when she discovers she is the last pure blood Hunter of the hidden Unhuman races that threaten to overrun the Earth. Thrown into a life of danger, secrets and deception, Evie must to learn to fight to survive.
Half Unhuman Shadow Warrior, Lucas, has sworn to avenge his parents murder and destroy the Hunters but for reasons he cannot explain he is compelled to protect Evie from his own allies, even at the cost of his own life. For Evie and Lucas to survive, the pair must find a way to defeat their enemies and fulfill the prophecy of the 'White Light'.

There is plenty of action in Alderson's first installment of the Fated series. She introduces her characters, mythology and world with a pitched battle between a shocked Evie and a group of nightmarish creatures including a green skinned Mixen, blood crazed Thirster and Scorpio Demon. The Brotherhood are members of a hidden race known as Unhuman by the Hunters that are the guardians of the human realm.
When Evie escapes their attack her history is revealed to her by Victor who intends to train her to join the fight for good against evil. Both Evie's training and continued skirmishes between the Hunters and Unhuman provide action through out the novel culminating in a battle finale that not everyone survives.
The world Anderson is building is interesting - a mix of accepted and original mythology with a touch of SciFi about it. The author gives just enough detail without bogging down the story with set up.
The title not only relates to Evie's prophesied destiny but also the nature of the romance that develops between Evie and Lucas. I am not really a fan of insta-love, particularly when the couple have good reasons to be enemies. What is lacking for me here, is a solid reason for the inexplicable devotion between the two teens, attraction based on the physical I can buy but being willing to die for each other within days or even weeks of meeting, not so much. Perhaps there is one hiding in the parts of the prophecy that have been lost (presumably to be found further on in the series) but I would have preferred that Anderson have allowed the relationship to simmer into the next book than force the immediate love connection when Lucas's desire to end the war would have been believable as enough motivation.

I thought the writing was of a high standard, and the story fast paced and exciting. Fated is an entertaining novel with a mix of action and romance that is sure to appeal to young adult readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fated.