R.J.'s Reviews > The Lantern

The Lantern by Deborah Lawrenson

Dec 22, 2011

it was ok
Read in December, 2011

It was a few pages BEFORE she mentioned the contemporary protagonist reading Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier that I said to myself--this seems a lot like...and then in the end, that's what it was..a modern Rebecca, less well told, less suspenseful and sauntering into a past that was more provocative but naively explored.
Set up--A modern woman follows her new love to the countryside of France, where he alternately becomes withdrawn, morose then tender and ardent. He is haunted by his former wife, Rachel.
The story of the reclusive former owner of the French house is told in alternate chapters. Her family history and the central mystery of her famous sister's fate--

I guessed the fate of Benedicte's loved ones, how could she have not, since she told us so clearly about the person who so obviously was not past murder to get his aims--And the contemporary couple, the woman is never "named" and the previous wife is called Rachel--

All in all, i enjoyed walking around France once again but the author ripped off a better writer--read DuMaurier's Rebecca or My Cousin Rachel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lantern.