Natalie's Reviews > The Springsweet

Dec 22, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2012
Read from August 04 to 14, 2012

The Springsweet continues immediately after the events of The Vespertine, except this time it concerns Amelia's cousin, Zora. Trying to forget the tragic events of the last summer, Zora goes to stay with her aunt on a homestead in Oklahoma, where she discovers that, like Amelia, she has elemental powers and tries to use them for good, until people start to turn on her.

I think one of the story's main strengths was having Zora as the narrator. I liked Amelia enough in the first book but Zora is just more interesting as a character. She's flawed, she's recovering from a recent traumatic event, and she's fast-thinking and smart. And, of course, Saundra Mitchell's writing is as lovely as ever.

But, oh man, the love triangle was so bland. I just could not get invested in it, at all. It was obvious to me from the start who Zora was going to choose and it really ground the plot to a complete halt. Aside from the love triangle, this was still a great book, with surprisingly intense moments (view spoiler) and a great main character.

(Also, the next book sounds awesome! I found a synopsis here and EEEEK it's set during WWI! So excited!!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Springsweet.

08/08/2012 page 122