Madeline's Reviews > Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight: An African Childhood

Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight by Alexandra Fuller

Jun 11, 12

bookshelves: 2012, library-books, non-fiction, memoir, colonialism, coming-of-age, depression, family, pastoral, race, revolution, zimbabwe
Recommended to Madeline by: Ji
Read on June 11, 2012, read count: 1

Fuller's memoir is a visceral book, and because I'm a bit physically squeamish I spent a lot of it thinking how glad I was to be born when and where I was born, and that my parents never had any interest in living an uncomfortable life. (The bugs, oh the bugs.) I can, just barely, understand wanting to live some place hot. But living there and then working hard? Physically? No, no, no, no thank you.

Mostly I read fairly straightforward memoirs, but Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight is a dreamy, postmodern kind of creative non-fiction, and form and content seemed ideally suited to each other. Fuller also manages to write without much hindsight. It's not unreflective or unintellectual, exactly, but the sense that someone is looking back over their lives and telling you stories is curiously absent. I admire this quality in Fuller's writing, just as I admired her compact but evocative prose. As I mentioned, it's an [alarmingly!!] physical book, invested in the land as much as it is in the people working the land. (Another motive that's quite foreign to me.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight.

06/11/2012 page 104