Wendy's Reviews > The Friendship Doll

The Friendship Doll by Kirby Larson

Dec 26, 11

bookshelves: 2011-award-possibilities
Read from December 22 to 26, 2011

I don't know quite what it is, but for some reason this book really annoyed me, and I found it more annoying the further along I got. It started off pretty well, and I wondered how much weight I should put to the feeling that it was strongly derivative of Hitty, Her First Hundred Years. (Not just the idea of a doll moving through time, witnessing American history, belonging to and affecting different children, etc--goodness, you'd think that'd be enough, wouldn't you?--but the doll's personality and voice.) As I read on, I stopped being concerned with that because I didn't like the book very much anyway.

I don't want to pile on the criticism, because I don't hate the book or find it offensive or anything, but just a few things: it felt overly lesson-y, very much like each story was only there to teach that lesson. It seemed like a lot of time/pages were spent on world-and-character building with each girl's story, with very little time left for interesting plot development. One of the things I like about short stories (and this book is pretty much a series of connected short stories) is that they usually don't waste time getting somewhere. This book is more like the start of several different novels, with then a quick summary of the action in the rest of the novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Friendship Doll.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan Hmm. I'm leaving it on my list but I'm not eager to bump it up at this point.