Kim Miner Litton's Reviews > The True Meaning of Smekday

The True Meaning of Smekday by Adam Rex

Dec 22, 11

Read in December, 2011

I chose to listen do the Audio book of this story because it one the 2011 Odyssey Award. I completely understand why it received the award; Bahni Turpin's performance is fabulous. Her voices for J.Lo and Gratuity really bring the characters to life, as well as her Gorg, the Chief, and all the other characters in her arsenal. The drawback, however, is that the Adam Rex book has some fabulous pictures in it, including a comic "drawn by J.Lo" that are really worth seeing. I don't know the way to fix that. Listen to it with the book in front of you? Read it twice, once with the book and once with the audio?

The story is humorous but the subject matter is really intense. The invasion doesn't come without causalities. People just disappear after being shot at with the Boov's silent weapons and "Tip" mentions that, because of these people, she has to believe in heaven. We see our world colonized and the atrocities that happen because of it. It's definitely a complex story, but Rex tells it masterfully. I do agree with Beth that it definitely shows the scars of a post-9/11 world. The days after the Invasion will feel very much like the days after 9/11 to those of us who lived through it. Still, don't let that get to you too much. There is a lot of comedy to be found in this book, as well as a lot of heart. I'd put it into the hands of just about any person, child or adult.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The True Meaning of Smekday.