jenjn79's Reviews > To Sir Phillip, With Love

To Sir Phillip, With Love by Julia Quinn

Apr 06, 10

bookshelves: author-julia-quinn, series-bridgertons, 2010, info-full, published-2003, reviewed, genre-romance-historical-england, stars-4-5
Recommended to jenjn79 by: continuation of a series
Read on March 29, 2010, read count: 1

Review: 4.5 / 5

This series is quickly becoming one of my favorite historical romance series...probably a top favorite among the historical-England set. I really enjoyed this addition to the series. It had me hooked in right from the start.

Series Note:
Probably should read this series in order.

Summary:
In her late twenties, Eloise Bridgerton is firmly considered a spinster. It's not that she doesn't want to marry; she just hasn't found anyone remotely worth marrying. She was okay with being a spinster until her best friend (also a spinster) married Eloise's brother. It made her long for what everyone else around her had. So she turned to her secret pen-pal, the widowed husband of a cousin of hers. They'd started corresponding after her cousin died and Eloise greatly enjoyed their letters. So when he wrote her and asked if she would visit, to see if perhaps they might suit and marry...well, at first she thinks he's nuts, then she realizes it might be her only chance. So she sneak away to meet him.

Phillip Crane is shocked when he meets Eloise. She's not at all what he thought she would be. She's beautiful, witty, intelligent, and most importantly, a happy person. It doesn't take him long to realize that she might just be the perfect mother to his two unruly children. Children Eloise had no idea he had. But if Eloise is to marry him, she'll have to get by the gruff, remote exterior of Phillip's and find the real man beneath.

Review:
One of the things I liked best about this book was that the storyline was different than most English historicals I've read. I'm not sure I'd say it was unique, but unique enough that it made it all the most interesting to read. I man, two strangers writing to each other and then the spinster female running off to meet him? Not your typical historical romance plot. And I liked that about the book.

I also enjoyed the relationship between Phillip and Eloise. Each is so shocked by who the other is in person it's amusing. Poor Phillip has a lot of internal demons to work through...an abusive father, a bad marriage...it's made him a bit of a bear and a distant father. Quinn did a great job growing his character throughout the book. And of course I liked Eloise. I don't think there is such as thing as an unlikable Bridgerton. The two together were a good match. I enjoyed reading their romance.

I even liked the kids in this book, and that's not something I generally like. I prefer kid-free stories. But Amanda and Oliver were amusing. Plus, they were an important dynamic in the story and fit in well.

I loved the part in the book where the Bridgerton brothers showed up and all hell broke loose. Nothing like a wild display of testosterone to make a girl sigh ;)

All around I just really liked this book. And I love this series. Can't wait to read the next one!
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Sir Phillip, With Love.