Marc's Reviews > Invisible Man

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

Jun 22, 08

Recommended to Marc by: Forgotten named school teacher
Recommended for: All young children

This was one of the first books I seriously read in High School. When I say seriously, I mean I took in its meaning and purpose rather just appreciate a good story. This book is about a young black man on his quest to be successful in a society dominated by white men, in a time where being colored, one was looked upon with the same significance one would look at a blade of grass. His fruitless quest to be come seen and no longer invisible, awoke within me an awareness, I have not ignored in the 11 years, since I've read it. Ironically, I read this book in High School as an assignment and never completed the actual assignment. I figured the knowledge and experienced I gained from reading this book was worth more to me than any grade I would've gotten had I completed it. In a sense I this book was part of the foundation that molded me into the person I am now. I've become more than what was expected of me from those high school days but I still struggle as a colored person to become best proud brown man I can be. This Book will forever be one of my motivations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Invisible Man.