Savannah's Reviews > The Map of My Dead Pilots: The Dangerous Game of Flying in Alaska

The Map of My Dead Pilots by Colleen Mondor

Dec 26, 11

bookshelves: alaska, librarybook, history, aviation
Read from December 20 to 25, 2011

Living as I do in a village accessible only by air and water and in a winter of weather as vicious as this, I am finding a deep desire to also add to this review the tag "horror." Or maybe "thriller." Because this is the world we here live in, dependent upon these pilots and companies, and it's damned scary. Don't believe for a moment that the author is exaggerating. Anything. Because just as the pilots make a (sometimes unfounded) leap of faith that they'll complete any given trip, so do we as passengers make that same bafflingly unsensible decision. Who hasn't gotten on a flight because they needed to get somewhere, even though, really, it would have been much safer to have stayed at home? Or listened to a pilot on a windy day go "piece of cake" when that bravado did nothing to reassure and only made the hapless passengers worry all the more?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Map of My Dead Pilots.