Susan's Reviews > The Cats in the Doll Shop

The Cats in the Doll Shop by Yona Zeldis McDonough

Dec 22, 2011

Read from December 22 to 23, 2011

I don't review books for children. Not, that I am saying I don't enjoy it. But the chance never came about, till the publisher of The Cats in the Doll Shop asked. I am glad she did. I enjoyed reading this chapter book.

This is a story about a Jewish, little girl, named Anna, and her two sisters. They live above a doll shop that her parents own. One day, her parents tell her, her cousin from Russia will be coming to live with them.

In the mean time, Anna spies a neighbor, harming a mother cat, and her babies.

These are the two intersecting conflicts in the story. As a adult, I enjoyed reading this story. I could see the story unfolding vividly. I liked the historical background, of the Jewish experience in NYC, immigration life, but also mentioned was the Jewish holiday of Rosh Hashanah, and Chanakah,and turn of the century events, with the story of Anna's parents Doll shop made this story very interesting to me.

Also in the story was the doll shop, and how they made dolls I thought that was interesting. The writing was just fluid, and flowed.

There is a glossary for Jewish terms. There is historical references in the back of the book as well to explain the story.

I don't have young children any longer, but a 21 year old son. But, my niece who is 10 years old I would recommend to my sister-in-law. This would be a nice book to give as a gift for Chanakah.
Thank you for allowing me to review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cats in the Doll Shop.

message 1: by Yona (new)

Yona McDonough And thank YOU for the sweet post! I am touched!