Nathan's Reviews > Spirit Gate

Spirit Gate by Kate Elliott

Dec 22, 2011

bookshelves: author-female, high-fantasy, rated-4-star, read-2011
Read from December 22 to 26, 2011

Want deep world building that doesn't seem pretentious? Want differing cultures without the cliche of monolithic fantasy "races." And would you like a pretty good story to go with it? I must say, Kate Elliott my a have a book to hook you on a series.

The setting is fairly unique. The main story takes place in a land called the Hundred, which is home of the Reeves, giant eagle riders. They follow the laws set by mysterious Guardians, enforced by the Reeves for generations, but things are of course changing. Down south there is a Empire that doesn't get a lot of play in the story, and a nomadic horse culture that currently rules a strong merchant based culture.

There is also a fair amount of spiritualism, which usually doesn't appeal to me, but Elliott wove it in without it taking over.

There were a few cons. The characters are all good looking boys and girls, and some follow cliches early on. The tortured soul of a hero and a female that seems to be a direct knock off of Dany from ASOIAF are the worst offenders. As the book goes on they gain some personality, so not a major gripe.

Biggest issue was a bit of bad editing about halfway through. Through he whole book we follow multiple PoV's chronologically(that is the time line is constant, switching views). But in one section we follow the same character to a end, then go back in time and have another character wonder what he is up to. Takes away the tension.

Still, loved the book, cant wait for the next.

edit after finishing the sereis:For series review, go here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spirit Gate.

message 2: by Mikael (new) - added it

Mikael Bought this one today, hopefully I'll like it.

Nathan God knows I did. I will be going for the next two after a bit.

ambyr It's sitting on my to-read shelf (the physical one, not the virtual one), there's just so much other stuff there! But I'm looking forward to it.

message 5: by Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship (last edited Jan 17, 2012 05:16PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship Hah. I'd just posted about how Mai's plotline goes in a completely different direction from Dany's, then saw you already finished the trilogy...

Nathan Just today. I tell you, I like Mai a whole lot more than Dany so far. I admit I found this series from your awesome fantasy by women group =) So glad I did.

Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship Nice! I'm recommending books to people without even knowing it. :)