Anna's Reviews > Just Business

2038521
Mar 05, 12

bookshelves: romance
Read in April, 2009

Since the basic plot is one we're all familiar with (in chick flicks it's usually known as "at first it was just a bet, but now I really do love you!") Just Business hinges on character development and quality of writing. The good news? It was an engaging read, with believable characters and an honest moment of "geez, how are they ever going to fix this?" I loved Callie and the parts about her brother as well as the elderly couple who take Callie and Dillon under their wings. Dillon is perhaps less likeable but no less relatable, and certainly shows the most growth.

The love story was beautifully written, with all the subtle moments making it believable. Even while Dillon is so adamantly telling herself the relationship is a business arrangement and will have to be dissolved when it's no longer mutually advantageous, Cannon makes it clear to the reader that yes, she and Callie are happy together, and the love is there.

The book starts with one of those prologues which annoy me, the scene from the middle of the story which is supposed to make the reader wonder how the characters get into that particular situation and eager to read the wherefores, but really just succeeds in making me wonder why we can't just start at the beginning and continue from there. Forget the teaser, just make sure the opening is in itself strong enough to grab me.

For a long time I wasn't sure how I felt about the ending. The happy ever after wasn't forced per se, but parts of it were slightly contrived. Ultimately, though, I did feel that Callie and Dillon were happier together, and would continue to be so after the story ended. I would have liked to hear more about Michael's trial, though, instead of it merely serving as an opportunity for Dillon to show off her new, better self.

Nitpicks aside, I really enjoyed watching Dillon and Callie fall in love, so this one goes on the shelf for when I need a gentle pick-me-up.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just Business.