Amy Lichtenhan's Reviews > Operation: Christmas Hearts

Operation by Kay Springsteen

Dec 22, 11

Read on December 22, 2011

Operation: Christmas Hearts was one of the sweetest books I've ever read...and just in time for Christmas!

Ashley never wanted to be the woman left at home waiting, yet as hard as she tried, she was unable to stop herself from falling in love with Nick Turner during his short stint at the nearby military base. Their story is told in the days leading up to Christmas while Nick is deployed and through a series of flashbacks from the past summer when they met.

It becomes clear immediately that neither have been straightforward with their feelings for the other, and both are left regretting the decision to leave it unsaid when Nick finds himself on a dangerous mission.

Our hearts are pulled back and forth as we watch their fear of never seeing each other grow and unfold in the scenes in the present, while we see them falling in love during the brief flashbacks.

Of course, because this is one of the most precious stories I've ever read, there is a gentle hand weaving little miracles together throughout the story that gives us hope that these two will be together again. Add in the sweet little girl with Downs’ syndrome who can see angles, and you have yourself a story filled with hope and the belief that miracles do happen.

This is a great story that I would have enjoyed at any time of the year, but what a special treat to have read in the week before Christmas. I can't wait to read Heartsight by Ms. Springsteen.

This book is recommended for anyone who loves a sweet story, YA & up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Operation.