Wai's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Jan 11, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from December 22, 2011 to January 10, 2012

If I could sum up this book, the last in The Hunger Games trilogy in one word; that word would be 'brutal'.

Unrelenting, would be another. As would outstanding.

The story begins shortly after the shocking ending of the previous book and finds Katniss and Prim, their other and Gale as well as others in the supposedly destroyed District 13, the district that was apparently made an example of by the capital of Panem. However, it turns out that yet again, what Capitol says has no bearing upon the actual facts.

Because of her actions in the first Hunger Games and the Quarter Quell (the name for the games that take place every twenty five years, this being set in the 75th anniversary), Katniss Everdeen is given a task by the leadership of District 13 and become the Mockingjay, the face of the rebellion and unite the twelve districts in an uprising against President Snow and end his tyranny.

And that's really all I can say about the story without giving anything away. As has come to be expected with the tone set by the first two books, Mockingjay is not an easy ride either for Katniss and company or for me as a reader.

Whilst there are lighter moments spaced throughout the book, given what has come before, it's not long before the action starts again we're taken on an emotional rollercoaster ride. And the ride doesn't exactly come to a gentle stop either. In my review of The Hunger Games, I remarked on how one particular death was heartrending but there is such a tragic loss in Mockingjay that I was so hoping that it was not to be, that there would be a miracle rescue.

Is there a victory or happy ever after for Katniss? That's entirely debatable, I think. Mockingjay, like the first two, is an amazing book and kept me reading wishing that I had an even longer commute. This and the entire trilogy are one of the best things that I've read. It is thought-provoking and its impact will be with me for a very long time.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.