LeAnn's Reviews > Girl With a Pearl Earring

Girl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

Jul 15, 07

Recommended for: General fiction readers
Read in July, 2007

While a pleasant read, GWPE is unfortunately not the best thing to read after The Blind Assassin. I enjoyed reading about 1660s Holland -- I'm particularly fond of historical fiction -- but the story itself was a trifle that I was able to get through in about 7-8 hours of solid reading (I'm still in vacation mode). There was never any doubt about the outcome nor a great deal of character growth.

It isn't billed as a YA novel, but it could have been with a little tweaking (there are delicate, if explicit, sexual details which could be hinted at more innocently so that it would qualify). Greit, the 16-year-old narrator, grows up by the end of the book in much the way that YA protagonists do. I guess that the main tension of the story revolves around sexual issues and the story ends on a pragmatic rather than an optimistic note. Maybe there needs to be another category between YA fiction and adult fiction. Adult fiction lite?
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl With a Pearl Earring.