Shannon (aka The Tale Temptress)'s Reviews > Spark

Spark by Amy Kathleen Ryan

Sep 16, 12

bookshelves: favorites

This book was absolutely amazing. I loved it, over and above how I felt about the first book, Glow. It just had something extra to it. Some characters redeem themselves, others sink lower. There were so many things that made this book phenomenal, but again, one of the greatest strengths were the characters.

Something I noted in the first book, which stays true in book two, is that all the characters have such an evident capacity for both good and evil. In book one, even though I liked Seth, I also hated him because of his actions. Kieren, who I started out really liking in book one, later became something a little twisted in book one himself, but in another way from what happened to Seth...yet still redeemable. I still felt so sorry for him in what happened. Meanwhile, Waverly went from mousy to absolutely tough.

In this story, things change yet again. Kieren becomes a bit more twisted, while still maintaining some saving qualities. There were times, however, that I just wanted to smack his face off because you really hate him. Seth, who I had grown disgusted with in book one, completely changes yet again and comes a little closer to the potential I always saw in him... of course this made me extremely happy, as he redeems himself and starts down a completely different path. And Waverly finds things within herself that are amazing and also a little ugly too.

The external conflict amps up yet again, and there was one scene, toward the end of the story that literally had me hopping up and down in my chair with suspense. It had me breathless! Wow. What can I say.

The ending had to be one of the biggest cliffhangers ever!! Oh, Seth, Seth, Seth!! It was absolutely agonizing and I literally screamed at the page, "No!!" My husband thought I was having a fit. That's some really good writing right there. Amy Kathleen Ryan has some brilliant writing, let me tell you. To write characters so thoroughly interesting, where the good and bad are both in them, and to create such suspense for the reader, is amazing. This book truly did leave me breathless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spark.

message 1: by Angyy (new)

Angyy The first book was ok for me but i wasn't planning to read the second one. Now, after your review, I'm not so sure anymore. I might give this serie another shot :p

Shannon (aka The Tale Temptress) Yeah, I wasn't sure I would read book two either after finishing the first. I was just left with such a depressed feeling because I had trouble liking both the main male characters. But this book changed everything for me and I'm so glad I gave it a chance.