Kelly Lynn Thomas's Reviews > A Witches' Bible: The Complete Witches' Handbook

A Witches' Bible by Janet Farrar

Dec 22, 11

bookshelves: pagan
Read in February, 2010

From both a practical and historical standpoint, this is an excellent and essential book. Not only does it provide the coven with a solid working framework for ritual and coven governance, but a realistic context and history of Wicca and modern Witchcraft. Doreen Valiente, who worked very closely with Gerald Gardner and wrote many of his rituals and much of the Wiccan liturgy in use today, worked with the Farrars closely on this book.

And aside from the practicality and historical accuracy, the rituals contained herein, re-constructed from Gardner's Book of Shadows with Doreen's help and with embellishments and additions made by Janet, are absolutely beautiful. I used their handfasting ritual as a basis for my own wedding and changed very little (though I had to adapt it for a crowd and not a coven).

For practitioners of Witchcraft and/or Wicca, this book is a must-read. For occult-minded people and those who are curious, I highly recommend it.

(Although I've set my read date to 2010, as that is the most recent date I've read it, I've read bits and pieces of it going back to 2007. This isn't the kind of book that I read front to back, but rather the kind of book I read in chunks, as I need, and then use as a reference guide. But that's just me.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Witches' Bible.