Kyle Johnson's Reviews > The Rosetta Codex

The Rosetta Codex by Richard Paul Russo

M 50x66
Jun 20, 2008

bookshelves: science-fiction

I picked this book up while bored out of my skull one evening, interupting my reading of "The Dragon's Nine Sons". The name was similar to something my dad had mentioned to me just a few days before, though it turns out that was a different book.

For a random snag off the Choice Reads shelf, I was pleasantly surprised by all but the very end of the book. The premise and plot remained interesting throughout, but once I had finished the book, it just felt flat. There weren't many high points in the book, and (as one reviewer pointed out) the main character shows very little emotion throughout the entire book. One of the reasons I enjoyed this book (despite its problems) was that it filled that need I had after reading "The Dreaming Void" of reading something sci-fi/fantasy that was outside the norm. Like the Edeard story-line in "The Dreaming Void", "The Rosetta Codex" is a nice blend of sci-fi and fantasy at the same time.

Would I recommend reading the book? Yes, in part because it was a quick read. Do I think everyone I recommend it to is going to enjoy it? No, probably not.

At this point, my hope is that there is a sequel in the making. I'm not sure what the premise of such a book would be, but the blandness of the end seems kind of like the end of a chapter, more than the end of an entire story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rosetta Codex.