Mina's Reviews > The Killables

F 50x66
Dec 22, 2011

bookshelves: dystopian, favorites, young-adult, 2012, for-review
Read in December, 2011

Gemma Malley! I've been a big fan of her books right after I devoured her The Declaration trilogy. I LOVED reading them. Her writing had a awe to it that I didn't see before. When I received The Killables I didn't take much notice of it but not until I saw Gemma Malley printed on the cover. I instantly left everything I was doing and jumped to the chance of reading. I had serious high expectations.

Horray for another dystopian novel. I just can't get enough of them. In The Killables we're introduced to a society where 'evil' ceases to exist and people are marked in regards to how 'good' they are. How cool does that sound.

Evie is not to bad either. I liked her character a lot but please excuse me as I have to first rush into what I didn't like associated with her. Raffy. Let me tell you about Raffy.Here's the thing. Raffy doesn't deserve what her has. He acts like a child that has no understanding, no care and no responsibility. He makes rash decisions without a thought about the consequences. I mean, he's just SO frickin selfish I feel like being mean to him! Okay so that's the worst I can think of but yeah, I hope I've established how much I dislike him.

I don't think I would have disliked him as much as I do if it wasn't for William. William is Raffy's brother. And he is everything that Raffy is not. He has understanding, he does care and he sure as hell is responsible. The number of things he has done, the amount he has sacrificed is just amazing. William deserves so much more and I love all these things about him. And for once, I love a guy character mainly because of what he is, not how he looks like. (Not that he's not good looking. I'm sure he is!)

Okay. So on to the story! A lot of secrets are revealed. Although, it's something good to help them all, a secret was kept a secret for a reason so it's only giving that something bad would string along. These revelations help Evie and Raffy make sense of the world they live in and help them decide what on earth to do next. It's a great atmosphere full of so much drive.

How exciting! And, as you can tell The Killables met my expectations, if not, then further. My only wish now is that William gets. what. he. WANTS!!!! As you can tell, I get very emotional when I'm talking about William. I will only be at rest until I read the next book. I need it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Killables.