Veronica's Reviews > Mistress of the Art of Death

Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin

Dec 27, 11

bookshelves: fiction, postal-book-group
Read from December 23 to 27, 2011

I enjoyed this book, although I didn't expect to. It's not a genre I would normally choose, and the recommendations from Kate Mosse and Diana Gabaldon on the cover didn't help :)

A bit too gory in places, but well-written, and though I'm hardly an expert on the 12th century it seemed well-researched. I liked the fact that the characters spoke in a contemporary way (no thees and thous), and the way she worked in quite a lot of social and political background -- for example about the law, the relationship of crown and church, and the Crusades and their effect on relations between Christians and Muslims. Plot-wise, it's a clever mélange of historical whodunnit and modern forensic thriller.

The plot was maybe a bit far-fetched, but I enjoyed the characters, especially Gyltha, Ulf and of course Adelia and Rowley. I found her characterization of Henry II intriguing too, and would have liked to see more of him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mistress of the Art of Death.