Andrea's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Dec 22, 11

bookshelves: ya
Read in November, 2011

I hadn't heard much about this book, but every time I saw it at the bookstore I felt compelled to pick it up and read the back. Finally, after this happened half a dozen times, I decided to give it a try -- although I half expected it to be terribly.

I was very pleasantly surprised by this book. I found the character of Tris to be likeable and believable. I also found her relationship with Four to be quite compelling. (view spoiler)

I'm not sure how convincing I found the world-building, though. There were definitely some cool and memorable scenes (view spoiler), but overall I found the Dauntless world to be too over the top. I just couldn't understand why anyone would CHOOSE to go there -- it seems to be a world built for masochists and no one else.

That said, I found Tris' character compelling enough that I was willing to follow her -- even if it was to a place I would never go. (I mean, hey, that's why we read fiction to begin with, isn't it?) I'm looking forward to the second book and am very interested to see where this series will go.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.