Kristin Lundgren's Reviews > Micro

Micro by Michael Crichton

Dec 26, 11

bookshelves: thriller
Read from December 22 to 24, 2011

Sad to see the last Crichton book - once again he writes from a specific science POV - this time, that modern day people, kids esp., may learn about the environment, but they rarely engage in actual interaction with it, esp. at a time when appreciation for nature is essential. That said, I can't really comment on the plot without giving much away. It is set in one of my all time favorite places, Manoa Valley, for much of the book. I lived there for a year, and a more beautiful place to live doesn't exist. The book is about a group of assorted grad students in various biology fields, who come to Hawaii to learn about job opportunities in a new company of which one of their group's brother is a big wheel. Surprises abound, and it brings to mind some classic Asimov fiction, but it is a fun tale, although not deep. I think Preston did a great job in finishing it, as I wasn't able to tell which part was whose. It was a little on the lite side, and had a lot less of the usually strong science POV that he includes in his book (remember chaos theory from JP?). But that said, it is a worthwhile remembrance of a great author, and I for one was sad that this was his last.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Micro.