Jennifer Lavoie's Reviews > Boyfriends with Girlfriends

Boyfriends with Girlfriends by Alex Sanchez

Dec 22, 11

bookshelves: family, friends, lgbt, multicultural, older-teens, public-library, romance, gay, lesbian
Read from December 21 to 22, 2011

Alex Sanchez always has good books, and this one was no exception. I enjoyed the different perspectives and all the different obstacles the teens faced in their attempt to get with each other. I just wished the book had ended with Sergio and Lance because I liked them the most.

I think this book is very relatable to a lot of teens because of the questions that arise, as well as issues with family. What made it even better was the multicultural aspects. Readers get to see Sergio and his Latino family who is very Catholic. His mother has difficulty accepting his sexuality from a religious viewpoint. Lance has a family that is very accepting. Allie's family is blind to her sudden questioning. And then there is Kimiko, who struggles with being a dutiful Japanese daughter and wanting to please her mother but still be true to herself.

Any Sanchez fan should love this book, and if you're new to his works, this is a good one to start with.

And wow I'm really flying through these books I borrowed from the library. Three in three days!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boyfriends with Girlfriends.