K.D. Absolutely's Reviews > Magical Thinking: True Stories

Magical Thinking by Augusten Burroughs

Mar 21, 12

bookshelves: gay-lit, memoirs, populist
Read from March 15 to 21, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Shameless. Unabashed. He just does not care whether you like him or not.

These are what make Augusten Burrough's memoirs very different from what I've read so far. He does not give an eff when he recounts how many Catholic gay priests he had sex with. He tells each sexual encounter like he is telling them to his gay close friend inside an enclosed room. All the details, including the unprintables, are mentioned and their intimate conversations in verbatim.

This is my fifth book by Burroughs. I used to hate him: Running With Scissors (2 stars); Wolf at My Table (1 star) and You Better Not Cry (2 stars). I did not like his hysterics and his stories seemed to be insensitive to the people he grew up with. I mean why wash your laundry in public when you can do it in private? It was only a couple of months back when I began to understand his style, since it seems to be consistent throughout all his works. This was when I read Dry (3 stars) and his sensitive gay side comes out when he said inside the gay bar: "this place is full of naked lonely souls."

So, in this book, when he said "I am not normal in anyway." I believed him. He is hysterical. He is shameless. He does not fear anyone. He is what he is. So, if you don't like him, don't buy and read his books.

Which for me is originality. The guy has the balls to show to the world who he is. He knows that he is read mostly by gay guys and he is not ashamed that he gets fan mails with gay guys sending him pictures of their penis. He was fascinated though, when old women recognized him on the street and told him that they've read his works. He told a couple of stories about those encounters and I just laughed out loud this morning.

What am I doing reading all these books by Burroughs? Ah, don't entertain the idea that I am gay. This is my last book by him in my possession and I have no plan to buy and read his other works. I am done with Burroughs. I just wanted to heal my hatred for him and there was no other way I could do that but know more about him. So, I read these two other books, Dry and Magical Thinking. My hatred for him used to be as high as the sky and had I stopped there, my soul would not be at peace. I don't want to have that hate in my heart when I die.

Lesson: After a book and you hate a certain author, read more books by him/her. Reading books by a certain author gives you more idea of who he/she is as a person. Chances are, you'll accept and love him/her just the same. Then you don't have that hate in your heart anymore. Only love resides in your heart.

I love the fact that I now understand Augusten Burroughs.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magical Thinking.

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 6: by Emir Never (new)

Emir Never Should I expect more reviews for Emma Donoghue? Andami niyang libro, baka matagalan ang paghilom ng iyong poot, hihi!

message 5: by K.D. (last edited Mar 21, 2012 07:58PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

K.D. Absolutely Onga! But the case of Donoghue is different. I love almost all parts of that book! Except when she used "Filipino shemmales"! Waddaeff hahahaha

message 4: by Emir Never (new)

Emir Never Kontrobersyal nga yung rebyu mo eh. Pumapantay sa rebyu ni Joselito sa Veronika Decides to Die. Mga unforgettable reviews, haha!

K.D. Absolutely Hahahaha. They raise people's blood pressure, that's why! :)

message 2: by mark (new)

mark monday excellent! i love the process you describe in getting to know Burroughs.

that said, i just don't think he's the author for me. the movie version alone of Running with Scissors really got on my nerves. cannot imagine spending an entire book trapped in his mind.

K.D. Absolutely Thank you, Mark. I have no intention of seeing it too.