Lucy Furr's Reviews > Lost and Fondue

Lost and Fondue by Avery Aames

Jan 07, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, its-a-mystery
Read from December 22, 2011 to January 07, 2012

I received this book through Good Reads First Reads.

I found Lost and Fondue, the second installment of the Cheese Shop Mystery Series to be as entertaining as the first, though I didn't find my self quite as giddy about it as I was during the reading of the first book. I attribute that mostly to the fact that the novelty of a mystery series with a backdrop of cheesy goodness is wearing off a little. This doesn't mean I like the idea any less, it just means I'm no longer seeing things through cheese colored glasses. Er. Yeah. That analogy doesn't really work does it?

Anyway. I'm definitely sensing a pattern within this series (remember, I don't usually read mysteries, so I could be really overstating the obvious here...) and it goes something like this:

Cheese. Someone is murdered. Someone is wrongly accused. Cheese. Charlotte gets nosy. Cheese. Cheese. U-ey gets mad at Charlotte and Rebecca for sleuthing. Cheese. Gossip (that tends to uncover some clues). Cheese. Charlotte figures out who the real murderer is.

I'm not really knocking the formula. Ok, maybe I am a little, but its with the best of intentions. Some variety wouldn't be to much to ask for, would it? Maybe the mystery involves a theft instead of a murder or, maybe, no one at all is suspected immediately after the crime is committed. Or hey, maybe someone goes missing. I know, I know. Both books so far have encompassed all of these things in some way or another, but murder is still the central issue.

I really like the majority of the main group of characters in the books so far, particularly Matthew and Rebecca, and even Charlotte is growing on me more, even though she can be one hell of a nosy perker (beyond that required for sleuthing) and she does come off as fairly naive (but hey, small town syndrome, I guess).

But what can I say, despite the above nit picks, I do really like the books. Maybe its the cheese talking, or maybe its just my hidden inner sleuth coming out to play. Either way, I'm looking forward to reading the third installment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost and Fondue.

12/28/2011 page 50
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cornerofmadness I had tried for this one at the giveaway myself. There are plenty of mysteries that are about thefts or disappearances or complete cold cases out there, though. My preference though is for murder. This one sounds interesting

Lucy Furr I think you would like them. I remember talking with you about serial killers and csi type stuff back on LJ, so I did actually think of you when I was writing the review. I meant to receommend this to you, but I forgot. Go me! lol It's a lot fluffier then the stuff I usually read, but if you like cheese and like murder mystery then I think you will find it entertaining at the very least.

Cornerofmadness yes I do like that stuff. I do prefer it to the more cozy stuff like this but these can be fun. I'll look for it. Thanks