Susie's Reviews > We Meant Well: How I Helped Lose the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of the Iraqi People

We Meant Well by Peter Van Buren

Dec 22, 11

Read in December, 2011

When I was sixteen, my father agreed to watch the antiwar documentary, Hearts and Minds, which was about how we failed to win the appreciation of the Vietnamese as LBJ had hoped for with his famous "Hearts and Minds..." speech. After the movie, my father said to me, "Susie, that documentary was so one-sided that it inky reinforced the beliefs that people who are already against the war have and does nothing to enlighten or persuade those who are neutral or pro-war.". I have always been unhappy with our activities in Iraq. nonetheless Peter Van Buren has written the Iraq version of that old documentary. I might have enjoyed his story if it had been a letter home when one is forgiven leaving out details that make the story less provocative or dramatic. His concessions to successful projects were so inconsequential that he might as well have left them out altogether. But you know what my friend, Ann H always says, "Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.". He had a good story to tell.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Meant Well.