Troy's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary And Potato Peel Pie Society

3041993
Dec 27, 11

bookshelves: fiction, reading-group
Read in December, 2011

Did Fielding not put the epistolary novel to the sword in the first half of the eighteenth century? OK, it's probably unfair to blame Shaffer's chosen form - writers like Byatt have made great use of it. The truth is that "The Guernsey blah blah blah" simply isn't a book for a reader like me. Sicklier than molasses, more hackneyed than Hugh Grant/Julia Roberts feel-gooders, plotted with all the finesse of a six year old with aspirations to architecture and a pack of crayons to hand, perhaps this novel's most laudable property, given that I read it over Christmas, is as an efficacious emetic to yuletide excess.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Guernsey Literary And Potato Peel Pie Society.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by ·Karen· (new)

·Karen· You're gorgeous when you're angry ;-))

Lisa O brave man! I reviewed it on my blog and the review was promptly ranked one star by an aggrieved reader. I need all the people who agree with us to drop in at http://wp.me/phTIP-yC and rank that review 5 stars no less, so that the one star is veritably swamped by the rankings of more discerning readers...
(Note to self, did I really give it 3 stars here on GR? What was I thinking??)

message 3: by Troy (new) - rated it 1 star

Troy Lisa wrote: "O brave man! I reviewed it on my blog and the review was promptly ranked one star by an aggrieved reader. I need all the people who agree with us to drop in at http://wp.me/phTIP-yC and rank that ..."

Consider it done!

I don't think there will be much call for bravery - given how many have written at great length about this book here on GR, I'm certain my little whine will be relegated to the never to be read back pages:)

message 4: by Troy (new) - rated it 1 star

Troy Karen wrote: "You're gorgeous when you're angry ;-))"

Shucks, thanks Karen (I think!). I'm not so angry though. Reading a dud once in a while is a necessary evil. And even if somewhat nominally, I am being paid to read this book.

message 5: by Lynne (new) - added it

Lynne King I always look at one and five star reviews TD. It's good to see a critical review like this. As I keep on saying ad nauseum, we have choice in this life; the only caveat being that a reader who is influenced by bad reviews (i.e. members of the sheep syndrome) will not buy a particular book that may in all likelihood be excellent.

message 6: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Wow - "simply isn't a book for a reader like me". Little self absorbed and impressed with ourself aren't we?

message 7: by Troy (new) - rated it 1 star

Troy Lynne wrote: "I always look at one and five star reviews TD. It's good to see a critical review like this. As I keep on saying ad nauseum, we have choice in this life; the only caveat being that a reader who is..."

Hi Lynne, I didn't see this comment here. But definitely; one must chart one's own course.

message 8: by Troy (new) - rated it 1 star

Troy Vicki wrote: "Wow - "simply isn't a book for a reader like me". Little self absorbed and impressed with ourself aren't we?"

And I most crtainly didn't see this comment here. You're no doubt right Vicki. Problem is, so am I.