Lauren's Reviews > Side Jobs: Stories from the Dresden Files

Side Jobs by Jim Butcher

Dec 21, 2011

Read from December 24 to 25, 2011

If you have any love for Dresden, even the slightest bit, you'll truly enjoy this collection of short stories. Butcher chose phenomenal characters to develop that you wouldn't otherwise learn about in the series. He even tries a hand at writing from the perspective of Thomas and Murphy in two separate stories. Overall, I was impressed with how solidly he maintains Dresden's character while bringing his world into sharper, clearer, richer focus as he goes along. Bravo, well done, and thank you again, Jim Butcher.

Even if you're wary about the last few books in the series, read on through Side Jobs. The final story, aptly titled "Aftermath," takes place a few hours after the end of Changes. The story is told from Murphy's perspective and takes you on an interesting (and informational) journey into the true consequences of the Red Court's demise - from the viewpoint of those left standing. Not only did I love hearing Butcher try on Murphy's inner monologue, but you cannot help but root for her on every level. When you're reading from Dresden's perspective, you know what he's capable of. He's truly one badass mother effin wizard! However, think of what it's like to be his mortal sidekick. Murphy is pure courage, faith, and cajones without a lick of magic to get her through the things that Dresden has survived, yet she keeps on ticking. This story highlighted her resilience and strength more so than any Butcher has displayed before. I cannot say it enough - Bravo.

I cannot wait for the next installment in the Dresden files! (Kudos to A.H. for recommending - or rather, insisting - that I pick these up. You're truly a man of your word.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Side Jobs.