Somewhatbent's Reviews > Nothing in Reserve: True Stories, Not War Stories.

Nothing in Reserve by Jack   Lewis

U 50x66
Dec 21, 2011

Nothing in Reserve: true stories, not war stories.[return]Jack Lewis[return]Litsam Press (2011), Paperback, 310 pages[return][return]I would be somewhat disingenuous if I said I'd cheerfully read anything Jack Lewis writes; I suspect his grocery lists are as mundane as yours and mine. Short of that, however, I have yet to read something by him that failed to make an impression. [return][return]Nothing in Reserve is both a highly personal and broadly engaging account of how Jack ended up in Iraq within spitting distance of his 40th birthday, when he thought he'd finished his Army hitch about 20 years before. He shares the things that go on and on and on but won't ever make the CNN 3-minute clips back home. He introduces us to the colorful cast of characters who share this deployment and relates funny things, tragic things and everyday things that are part of Army life. He creates rich and evocative word pictures that let even someone without military experience viscerally understand where he's been, and for someone who's been there's a sense of “Yep, I can relate to that”.[return][return]The transition back to civilian life is easily as poignant. There is no instant 'Home' switch – post-deployment is tough enough that there are whole sections in the military devoted to making the transition smoother. Everyday actions that most of us do without a second thought are very much against the conditioned nature of our returning troops. Getting back into civilized humanity is a full-time job. Jack shares that with us as well, helped along the way by his Pretty Wife and his Tucker-pup. I look forward to seeing more of his adventures for a very long time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nothing in Reserve.