Preeti's Reviews > Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin

Dec 26, 11

bookshelves: mystery, goodreads-reco, fiction
Read from December 21 to 23, 2011

I read this book thanks to a recommendation/review from Stephen. You might as well go check that out for a more thorough and in-depth review than you'll ever find here.

This is not a book I would normally have picked up on my own, so I have GoodReads to thank for it. It was worth it.

The story is about an ostracized man, Larry Ott, who lives in the deep South (of the US). Though he was never formally charged with anything, when he was young he was suspected of raping and murdering a girl by the entire small town in which he grew up. Now years later, another girl has disappeared and all fingers are pointing to him.

As events progress, Larry is brought together with Silas "32" Jones, current constable of the small town of Chabot, Mississippi. They used to be friends when they were younger but various incidents led them apart. You also meet various other residents of the town, some of whom have died but appear in flashbacks.

I really liked how the story progressed. Each time something new was revealed, I sucked in my breath and kept wanting to know more. I felt shock, I felt numbness, and sometimes, I even said, "Well, shit!" out loud.

I feel like you really get to know the characters and become really close to them during the course of the book. You feel their pain and their anger. I was really invested in the story and really wanted justice, but it was difficult to figure out what justice was in this case. Life is so complex, in how it weaves together all of these people, their circumstances, their actions.

This is a deep, rich world that Tom Franklin has created, which is a testament to his skill. Similar to what Stephen mentioned in his review, this is not a world I know - life in the deep South - but I was able to see the town, the environment, these people, through the author's words. Definitely a fantastic book!
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter.

12/22/2011
12.0% "It has me intrigued!"
show 1 hidden update…

Stephen I am so glad you liked this, Preeti. Terrific review.

Preeti Aw shucks, thanks Stephen! All thanks to you!