Vanessa's Reviews > Highland Bride

it was ok
bookshelves: used-book-store
Recommended for: No One
Read from May 05 to 12, 2013 , read count: 1

This is the first book I have read by this author, and I am disappointed. I did finish the whole book, though, so I could write a fair review. The only reason I gave this two stars is because the beginning was funny and I liked the heroine. She had spunk and she was quite amusing. Otherwise, it would have been an easy one star rating.

I found two major turnoffs for me in this novel.

First, I thought the hero, Conner, was a dud. His character started off well, being amused and appreciative of Gillyanne's efforts to stall him and his companions from whisking her off and marrying her for her land.

After marrying her, glimpses of Connor's feelings were few and far between. Not knowing how to treat a woman has been used before in historical romance, but here it just doesn't work. If anything his character seemed to regress into a neanderthal ignorant oaf, an alpha male wannabe, and close to one-dimensional. Wow, that sounds really harsh, but I haven't run across such a total unlikable hero in a long time. Maybe I need to read more.

Anyway, this leads to beef number two. Despite his lack of expressive feeling towards her she falls in love with him anyway, and way too soon in the story. Ironically, Gillyanne is supposed to have a gift that lets her sense what another is feeling, but she cannot sense his. Could it be he doesn't really have any? I think it would have been a lot more interesting if she could sense them, and then maybe falling for him so fast might have been somewhat believable.

I'd like to end with a positive note, so as to balance the review out a little bit. I liked some of the other characters very much, and her family has some dimension and appeal. Since this book is part of a series, perhaps the others are better. I'll be taking a pass, though.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Highland Bride.

05/12/2013 marked as: read

Shubha I am only more than half way through but I agree with you 100%. I just don't believe why she would fall for Conner...ridiculous and unbelievable!I also hate their strong scottish english thats used.I have read many highlander books but this doesn't appeal me!! I am finding it a bore but will only continue as I am close to finishing the book.