Shara's Reviews > Batman: Noël

Batman by Lee Bermejo

Dec 22, 11

bookshelves: borrowed
Read in December, 2011

The premise: ganked from BN.com: Inspired by Charles Dickens' immortal classic A Christmas Carol, BATMAN: NOEL features different interpretations of The Dark Knight, along with his enemies and allies, in different eras.

Along the way, Batman must come to terms with his past, present and future as he battles villains from the campy 1960s to dark and brooding menaces of today, while exploring what it means to be the hero that he is. Members of Batman's supporting cast enact roles analogous to those from A Christmas Carol, with Robin, Catwoman, Superman, The Joker and more playing roles that will be familiar to anyone who knows Dickens' original holiday tale.

My Rating: Good Read

The story is good. The art is excellent. So rating this is a bit hard, but I am a Batman fangirl, so seeing Batman in more of a villainous light (despite the redeeming Christmas Carol theme) had me less excited for the story itself than I might've been otherwise. Don't get me wrong: the story is quite clever and very good, it's just that Batman's already redeemed in my mind, so I don't need a redemption story. Does that make sense? Still, if you're a fan of Bats, you definitely want to get your hands on this. There's also a cameo from a certain Kryptonian, which would normally bother me, but worked fantastically in this setting.

Spoilers, yay or nay?: Uh, yay? I mean, let's face it, if you know how A Christmas Carol goes, this book will have no surprises. The joy is seeing how Dickens' tale is adapted to Batman's world, and it's rather interesting at that. So I won't spoil those specifics, but the general arc of A Christmas Carol story is pretty much fair game, so you've been warned. :) The full review is in my blog, and as always, comments and discussion are most welcome. :)

REVIEW: Lee Bermejo's BATMAN: NOEL

Happy Reading!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.