Donna's Reviews > Those Across the River

Those Across the River by Christopher Buehlman

Dec 21, 11

Read in December, 2011

I'm on holiday break so I am indulging in some pleasure reading which for me means mystery and thrillers. This book appealed to me as a story of intrigue and mystery in the old South. It is set in 1935 small town Georgia. During the height of the recession and without a job, a college professor returns to the old family home that is across the river from where his great-grandfather owned a large plantation and was notoriously cruel to his slaves, eventually being killed by them in an uprising. His plan is to write the history of his great grandfather but he finds that he can't bring himself to explore the land across the river where all these atrocities took place and instead gets to know the small town people who have some strange customs. The first two-thirds of the book is fascinating and scary and mysterious and all the things I love in a good spine-tingling tale. The last third becomes violent and gruesome and is told too quickly, without the seasoning of the first part of the book. Anyway, overall, it was good and the twists were unexpected but then I felt it tried to wrap up too quickly and lost what made it so fascinating. It's worth the read though if you like mystery, thrills and horror.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Those Across the River.