Marie's Reviews > Betsy Was a Junior

Betsy Was a Junior by Maud Hart Lovelace

Mar 16, 12

bookshelves: read-for-book-club
Recommended to Marie by: Heather Vogel Frederick
Recommended for: Little House on the Prairie, History, Anne of Green Gables Lovers
Read from February 27 to March 03, 2012, read count: 1

Okay, so it's been a while since I read this, so this review will probably be shorter.

Well, there is this pattern I've been noticing that isn't really a great one. At the end of every year, Betsy resolves to be more serious about her schooling and stop putting her social life before the more important things. However,I think that this book was where she really actually learned her lesson and will stick to her resolution next year. After seeing how much Cab had to grow up when his father died, Betsy thinks about how much her entire Crowd has grown up during the year. Betsy knows that she will never lead such a silly, carefree, frivolous social life anymore because everyone's growing up. She knows that her Crowd will never live in such blissful ignorance ever again, for reality is fast at hand for the Crowd. Betsy thinks about what a terrible thing growing up is and how she just can't stop it. This really spoke to me because I consistently worry about growing up and how I can't stop it from happening. One of the things I most grieve about is the fact that all my friends wil grow up, and there will be no one to be a kid with and, in turn, I'll grow up, too. I really could connect to Betsy in this way.

Well, seeing as that's really what I remember, that concludes the essence of my review. I loved this book so much, just like the others. Each next year of high school is better and more exciting than the last, except I expect that for senior year Betsy's life will be less fun and happy and therefore will stop the climaticness of one book to the next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Betsy Was a Junior.

03/03/2012 page 233
73.0% "I can't wait to be in high school like Betsy was! Everything sounds amazing! THE CUTEST AND MOST QUAINT STORY YOU WILL EVER READ! I can't even describe it in a status update. Must go into the review. (Coming soon!)"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie I personally love all these books. I think the illustrations got me hooked!

Marie Me too! At the beginning of each chapter I just spend time staring at the drawing.