Amanda (Good Choice Reading)'s Reviews > Of Poseidon

Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Jan 19, 14

Read on January 10, 2012

I don’t have the greatest track record with mermaid books. In fact, I’ve never liked a single one that I’ve read (or attempted). Of Poseidon is definitely the exception.

The first chapter didn’t convince me. Basically we learned that she was clumsy and that Galen was gorgeous. (She reminds us at least three times just how gorgeous he is.) So I’m sure you can guess where my mind was going with comparisons. Luckily, the pattern doesn’t continue, and Of Poseidon takes a path all its own.

I loved the characters. Emma is very stubborn and stands her ground. Galen is so adorably naïve, it had me laughing out loud from time to time, as did his sister Rayna and friend Toraf. Their lack of knowledge about the human world was very well played. I ate it up. I love that the main characters weren’t all I cared about. I enjoyed reading about the secondary characters as well, and found myself wishing we could see more of Emma’s mother.

The way the story was told is definitely a plus for me. It alternates between Emma—first person, and Galen—third person. This allowed us to get to know Galen, and it also let us into the Syrena world. I don’t think I would have enjoyed this as much if we hadn’t been able to see that side of the story.

I got lost in this book, refusing to go to bed until I finished. There was a bit of a revelation that I definitely saw coming, and I don’t see how they couldn’t see what was right in front of their eyes. But eventually they catch on. The book does end a cliffhanger which is a bit frustrating. I’m personally getting tired of books ending in the middle of a climax. Nevertheless, I’m definitely anticipating the next installment in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Poseidon.

01/10/2012 page 178
55.0% "Oh, Galen, you adorable little naive thing, you."

Wendy Darling Really! *perks up*

Amanda (Good Choice Reading) Wendy Darling wrote: "Really! *perks up*"

Nothing mind-blowing but it was adorable. Hope you enjoy it too. :)