Kevin's Reviews > Children of the Mind

M 50x66
Dec 22, 11

it was ok
Read from December 21 to 22, 2011

I couldn't wait to finish this book. The Ender quartet started so strong and got progressively worse with each book. I hated who the characters became in this book (particularly Wang-Mu) and the long-winded monologues about the difficult love relationships got excessive. The tired philosophy and ruminations on the human condition were boring and unwanted.

Children of the Mind started with so much potential but it was poorly executed. I was really hoping to see the ruthless Peter emerge, having been given only the worst of himself from Ender. Then Ender would have to act on his promise to stop Peter. But of course this didn't happen. Peter is just a brat, and embarks on his mission to save Lusitania with the ever annoying Wang-Mu.

The fleet that was sent at the end of book 2 finally got to Lusitania and the actions of the Captain was probably the best part of the book. Comparing his ethical quandary to that of Ender was really interesting but couldn't make up for everything else that made this book so bad.

I wanted to like this book, but I couldn't. After reading Children of the Mind it will take time before I want to read another book by Orson Scott Card.
9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Children of the Mind.

03/01 marked as: read