Katie Fitzgerald's Reviews > If Waffles Were Like Boys

2281988
Dec 21, 2011

bookshelves: format-picture-books
Read in December, 2011

If everyday objects were more like boys, things would be a lot different. According to this picture book by Charise Mericle Harper, breakfast would turn into a battleground, lunch might suddenly resemble a rodeo, and there would be a lot more trips to space.

I love Charise Mericle Harper's girly books, and I was glad to see her embracing the joys of boyhood as well. I knew immediately upon reading the book that a lot of people will find it sexist, or be annoyed that it's so boy-centric and not just generally child-centric, but believe it or not, I do have parents who want to know where all the "boy power" books are. This is a book I can give them that will not just empower their kids, but make them laugh. (Can you name any other boy power books? I had trouble.)

I also had this image in my mind as I was reading of a girly girl reading this book and agreeing 100 percent with everything in it. Girls with brothers, or even just male classmates will recognize a lot of these stereotypically boyish interests. They don't describe every boy, just as Pink Me Up! and Fashion Kitty don't describe every girl, but I like that this book includes so many things that are popular with preschool boys at my library right now.

I won't be sharing this book at story time, because I am afraid of the politically correct backlash it might cause. It's also too mature for my age groups, but might work well in some communities, especially if libraries host events for the Boy Scouts or other all-male kids' organizations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If Waffles Were Like Boys.

10/13/2016 marked as: read-2011