ArmyGirls Read too's Reviews > Burn for Burn

Burn for Burn by Jenny Han

F_50x66
Dec 21, 11

bookshelves: to-read

Now I'm pissed! Jenny Han was one of the best Contemporary, Realistic fiction writers ever! Why must she go and write Supernatural, fantasy fiction???? This is so upsetting because most fantasy-fic writers, do not really write good books. so if she writes a crappy book and I read it, I won't remember her for the awesome We'll Always Have Summer but for the crappy job she did with a fantasy book. Ugh. For some, you might think this is stupid of me and petty. It most definitely is. Guess I will find out how it turns out when it comes out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burn for Burn.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ljubica Totally agree!!! I wish she wrote some other cute summer read like We'll always have summer series because I'm still re-reading mine and they're falling apart :/ I was so looking forward to getting back to summer :(

message 2: by Fred (new) - added it

Fred I love both of these authors as contemporary creators, and can only hope these live up to that standard. If anybody can do it, they can!

Samira Hey. I understand why you are mad at Jenny Han for moving onto write fantasy. But its her choice; maybe she wanted to write something different. Since you love her summer series, I am sure you will love her new series too :) It's a bold move for her to change genre, so give her a chance.

message 4: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily You Know how I feel!!!

message 5: by Gabbi (new) - added it

Gabbi  Calabrese A good writer is a good writer. It doesn't matter what genre they write, if they really have talent (which I KNOW Jenny does, though I've never read anything by Siobhan) then they will produce good products.

message 6: by T.S. (new) - added it

T.S. Ferguson Nevermind---I just re-read the press release.

Tamikia Honestly it's still a contemporary novel, it doesn't get all supernatural until towards the end. I agree that I'm sick of the whole supernatural thing and it seems like some authors like Melissa de la Cruz, are switching over to write it, but I don't think that's going to happen here.

Rosella Malfoy ^ I'm sorry but I'm really confused; I just finished the whole book and I don't see when it turned supernatural? What did I miss?

Tamikia The character Mary, has some kind of "Carrie" like telekinetic powers. The whole thing at the end with the lights popping and glass falling from the ceiling was her doing and so was the part when Rennie fell off the top of the pyramid earlier in the book and so was the part when all of the lockers came open. She doesn't fully realize it herself until towards the end even though she has acknowledged throughout the book that weird stuff happens around her. Re-read Chapter 40 and it tells about it a little.

message 10: by Rosella (last edited Oct 02, 2012 08:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosella Malfoy ^ Oh okay, thanks. I feel quite stupid right now; I skimmed the last few paragraphs which is probably why I missed it. :P

Vivian Xia What's up with the whole telekinetic powers at the end? Totally confusing!!!

Starr Honestly, it's not all that paranormal. There is a peek at Mary's telekinesis, but it's really more of a contemporary book. Not so sure the sequel will be the same, though.

Nichole I still like the book I just didn't think that supernatural really fit, it makes the story a little less relatable. And that's saying something because I love books like that but it just doesn't work in this story

message 14: by Cassie (new)

Cassie Hopefully it doesn't go too paranormal and it's more like Carrie, which I love BTW.

Amanda I personally liked Burn for Burn a lot better than the Summer series... It's written like a contemporary and the fantasy elements are VERY minor.