Ashley - Book Labyrinth's Reviews > Unbreak My Heart

Unbreak My Heart by Melissa C. Walker

Aug 18, 14

bookshelves: my-books, signed-copy, favourites, young-adult, contemp-ya-recs
Read from May 17 to 19, 2012 — I own a copy

You know how some books are just the perfect read at the perfect time? Well, ‘Unbreak My Heart’ was one of those reads for me. I loved how it was about romance, about friendship, and about family and it never felt like too much. It combined those aspects seamlessly, making them each a part of Clementine’s life, just as we experience those different relationships in real life.

At the heart of the story is Clementine’s relationship with her (now ex)best friend Amanda, and Clem’s growing realization of how much the break up of a friendship can hurt. I loved how the story went back and forth between Clem’s summer with her family on a boat and the past year when the whole situation unfurled. It didn’t feel like a gimmick to tell the story that way; it felt like a natural unfolding as Clem grieves for her broken relationships and starts to heal and have revelations as the summer continues.

I can’t write this review without mentioning two fabulous characters. First is Clem’s sister Olive, who is just adorable and funny and sweet, and is basically the perfect little sister. She’s brutally honest and just the right amount of clingy-bratty to seem like a real little sister, but she is also Clem’s biggest fan. The second amazing character is James, who Clem and her family meet on their boating trip. James is one of the most adorable YA guys I’ve read about in a long time. I love how upbeat and cheerful he is, despite the things going on in his own life, and I loved how much he rooted for Clem and how well he treated her and her family.

This book made me sad and nostalgic for lost friendships, but it also filled my heart back up with the sweet romance and the moments between Clementine’s fabulous family. ‘Unbreak My Heart’ was so emotionally satisfying. I absolutely love Melissa Walker’s writing, and this may just be my new favourite of hers. Recommended to those who love contemporary romance and to Sarah Dessen fans.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbreak My Heart.