Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews's Reviews > Blood Moon

Read from September 01 to 02, 2012

*Genre* YA Paranormal
*Rating* 4.0

*Review*

Blood Moon is the fifth novel in the Drake Chronicles. The story is told in the first POV by Solange, Lucy, and Nicholas. Blood Moon picks up right where Bleeding Hearts left off. (If you haven’t read that book, I shall not spoil what happened at the end.)

Solange Drake, the youngest of the Drake Clan and a recently changed vampire, has gone off the deep end by drinking human blood and is being lead around by the mysterious vampire named Constantine. Solange is a different sort of vampire in that she’s supposedly the prophesized one. This leaves Lucy Hamilton in an untenable position of having to save Kieran, her boyfriend, as well as herself, from her best friend.

Meanwhile, Lucy has had her whole world turned upside down. She’s now attending the Helios-Ra school with Hunter and Kieran and has to figure out a way to fit in at a school that believes she’s a traitor for loving a vampire (Nicholas). She is also having guilt trips over the fact that her cousin was left for dead and then changed into a vampire by a rogue vampire. There isn’t a lot of Nicholas and Lucy time in this book, which really doesn’t surprise me with all that happens. Lucy is too busy trying to say alive and learn about her new found hunter abilities. Lucy is still the most interesting character in the book and I can only hope that the last book has more in store for series readers.

Blood Moon is supposedly where Solange’s mother Helen is ready to take over as Queen of the vampire tribes. There have been all sorts of trials and tribulations for the Drake family since this series started. All of this comes on the heels of Christabel (Lucy’s book worm cousin) being attacked and turned into a vampire as well as new vampires and hunters appearing in the woods surrounding the camp itself wanting to make their presence known to the future Queen.

*(Christabel plays a very, very minor role in this book which begs me to ask the question to Ms. Harvey as to why she was turned into a vampire in the first place and not Lucy? What was the point of changing Christabel if she was only going to be a tertiary character like Isabeau who actually gets more story time?)

Obviously this book is a set-up for Blood Prophecy the last book in this series and the one that will end, hopefully, with all storylines answered including why Solange went off the deep end and changed so suddenly to the point where I can’t stand her. There are too many unanswered questions like whether or not Lucy will end up being the one to save her, or end her, or turned into a vampire like her cousin.
One of the more obvious questions is who is Constantine, and what does he want? It’s obvious that he and the mysterious voice have a lot of control over Solange.

It’s obvious to me that Harvey is a good storyteller who really knows how to bring a story to a conclusion. Over the past two books, however, Harvey has let her readers stew in their own aggravation after back to back cliffhanger endings. This particular ending left me with lots, and lots of questions which can only be answered with the release of Blood Prophecy.

In the end, this book was probably the darkest of the five released to this point. Once again, I am left with thoughts of throttling Solange instead of feeling any remorse towards her. I am also very glad that the series is wrapping up at the suggestion of the publishers. After 6 books, we could always do a spin-off instead of continuing onward!

Released: June 19th 2012
Publisher: Walker Childrens
Title: Blood Moon (The Drake Chronicles Book # 5)
Author(s): Alyxandra Harvey
ISBN: 0-8027-2848-0 / 978-0-8027-2848-7 (USA edition)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Moon.

09/01/2012 page 60
19.0% "Chapter 6 - I. HATE. SOLANGE."
09/02/2012 page 105
33.0% "Chapter 9"
09/02/2012 page 213
67.0% "Chapter 21 - I really like Lucy and Kieran. Too bad we still have to deal with Solange's BS"